Thursday, February 21, 2013

Piña Colada Cupcakes

With the temperatures barely hovering above freezing, and the summer being months away, I, like many other people, am constantly dreaming of a warmer place. I figured since I am stuck for the next few months with the cold, why not bake something to remind me of those blissful summer days. Something that always screams summer and tropical weather to me are piña coladas. They are my life. I had my first one a few years ago, and we have been inseparable since. The only problem is where I live, they are kinda scarce. Plus those things are freezing, not really what I'm looking for while piled under blankets. So how about some piña colada CUPCAKES to bring back those warm summer memories, without the chill factor?



So as a ever so devoted Pinterest member, I kept seeing this one recipe for pineapple angel food cake. Its only two ingredients, takes less than 30 minutes to make, and they are only 50 calories per cupcake!!!! What could be better? And I know I made the hugest contradiction to myself because one of the two ingredients is cake mix, but since I had literally no time to make them, I figured the box mix was the best way to go. So if you use a mix like me, just make sure you use a good quality kind, to get optimal cake success (I used Ginger Evans brand, but I heard that Pillsbury angel food cake mix was pretty good as well).



As for the frosting, it was an experiment, but it came out really good as well! I made a coconut whipped cream frosting, straight from the heart. (yeah that's right-no recipe) It's not quite as "healthy" as the cakes, but it is whipped cream, which is pretty light as far as frostings go. I used cream of coconut, something new to me, and it came out delightful!


So are you looking for a baked good that's not too heavy, and brings a bit of that tropical feel even to the most frozen tundra? Then make these cupcakes!!! (Come on, you know you want to!)

Piña Colada Cupcakes:
1 good-quality box angel food cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple (do not strain)
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup cream of coconut
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
1 small jar maraschino cherries (for garnish)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the cake mix and crushed pineapple into a bowl. Mix until just combined. Fill 24 cupcake tins lined with paper liners to the brim using an ice cream scoop. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the tops are browned. Cool completely.

To make the frosting, beat the heavy cream, coconut, and confectioner's sugar on medium for about 3 minutes, or until the cream has started to stiffen. Mix in the vanilla and more coconut, to taste preference. Beat until very stiff peaks form. Cover the bowl and let the frosting sit in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes, to allow the frosting to get really stiff. 

Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag, and frost all the cupcakes. Top each with a maraschino cherry and serve. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment