Friday, February 15, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes (Pink Velvet)


Yup, you read that right, pink velvet. As in cupcakes. As many great bakers know, the some of the best treats have often come from accidents or experiments. This is one of those times.

So here's what happened. Since Valentine's Day was coming up, I wanted to make something super festive for my friends. Plus I had gotten these awesome heart-shaped cupcake tins as a present a while back that I hadn't been able to use yet. And what better cupcake than red velvet to fill those tins full of festive yumminess? So I found this great recipe of the Georgetown Cupcakes red velvet cupcakes from Portuguese Girl Cooks off Pinterest, and I had a little vision. Why should I use frosting and make them good, when I could use something else and make them GREAT?! What about ice cream? (Since I'm on my little sort-of health kick, I used frozen yogurt instead) and thus my heart shaped ice cream cupcakes were born.



It started off well enough, a good challenge not only because I had never made red velvet from scratch, but also because I was under a time limit. These days, its so hard to find some quality baking time, so I usually only have an hour or two per week to get my baking fix. Then I looked in my red food coloring container, which looked and felt about halfway full on the outside, but really only had a little more than a teaspoon left!. (good lesson, really check all ingredients prior to baking and don't judge something on looks alone) So I just kept going, and the taste of red velvet still came, but they were more rose colored.

Other than that funny little mishap, my cupcakes came out great! The frozen yogurt wasn't overpowering or sparse at all-it was a nice light contrast to the dense-ish cake. Most of my friends described them as 'refreshing'.


This recipe truly makes 24 good sized cupcakes. Since I only had 12 tins, I decided to put the frozen yogurt just in those, and frost the rest. I made my own original cream cheese buttercream. It was great! And it's soo easy to make, which makes it even more worth the sugar.


So happy late Valentine's Day! I hope you like the cupcakes and they turn out more red for you! I promise you they can put a smile on even the most anti-romantic person out there.

Red Velvet Cupcakes:
3 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
4 tbsp red food coloring(or less if you want a pink color)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup vanilla frozen-yogurt (more/less depending on preference)
Powdered Sugar (For dusting)
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting(follows)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray silicone cupcake tins and line on a baking tray/line cupcake tins with paper liners. 

In a small bowl, whisk the flour and salt until combined.

In a stand mixer attached with the paddle, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. 

In a very small bowl mix the food coloring, vanilla, and cocoa, until all lumps are gone. Add to the butter mixture and beat well, until the mixture is completely red.

Add the flour and milk alternatively to the mixture, in three parts. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition.

In another small bowl, combine the baking soda and vinegar. Mix until the lumps are gone and the vinegar has stopped fizzing. Add to the batter and mix until just incorporated, no longer than 30 seconds.

Scoop batter into cupcake tins/cups. Bake for about 18 minutes or until the cupcakes spring back after touching them lightly. Cool completely before frosting.

Frozen Yogurt- Once cooled, remove the cupcakes from their liners. Cut in half horizontally. Put about a tablespoon or two onto each cupcake, spreading to cover the entire base. (This will not work if the frozen yogurt is too soft, or too hard) Lightly top the cupcakes and store in the freezer at least 6 hours, or overnight. Before serving, let the cupcakes sit out at least 15-20 minutes, and dust the tops with powdered sugar. 

Cream Cheese Buttercream:
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp cream cheese

Directions:
Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. All the milk, vanilla and cream cheese. If too liquid, add more sugar by the tablespoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment